The Pendo Mobile SDK version 2.0 is a Beta build that provides "codeless" retroactive analytics across all of your app-versions, like Pendo Web.
- It only takes three lines of code to integrate the SDK into your Android or iOS app.
- There’s no longer a need to pre-tag your screens/features to begin collecting analytics.
- Any new app versions published will continue to work without requiring additional setup.
Step 1: Install the SDK
To set up your SDK 2.0 app:
- Navigate to Subscription Settings
- Then, click on the "Add Mobile App [BETA]" button in the top right-hand corner of the page. If this button is not present, please contact support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enter your desired app name and choose the relevant OS.
- Proceed to install the SDK by following the integration instructions displayed.
Step 2: Tag Pages and Features
After successfully installing the SDK, tag your pages and features using the follow steps:
- In the navigation bar, choose "Product" and then go to Pages
- Click on the "Manage Pages In-App" button in the top-right side of the page.
- Select the relevant Mobile App > Launch the designer.
- Connect to a new device using 1 of the 3 options listed in the designer. currently email-pairing is out of order
- Use the Camera icon on your device to capture pages and tag your features.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is new in this SDK version compared to previous?
Retroactive Analytics - analytics are sent as soon as the SDK is installed! No need for prior tagging and the customer does not miss an event.
- New Tagging experience - A page is identified by its structure and not by identifying elements. Users do not need to define identifying elements when tagging a page (which means easier tagging - just name the page).
Tagging works across app versions. - Users won’t need to ‘Copy screens.’ Pendo will assume that the screen hasn’t changed and keep collecting analytics in the same page and feature rules.
- In case your app changed and the previous page/feature rule no longer works, we are working on a new flow for "fixing the tagging" by recapturing the page on the newer app version and re-locating the features. Because this SDK supports retroactive analytics, users will not lose data. As soon as the rule is fixed, the analytics will be adjust accordingly.
When will this no longer be considered Beta?
This SDK is considered "beta" since it still does not support guides. It fits customers whose main need is analytics. Once Guides are supported, it will no longer be considered beta.
Can I run the previous and the new SDK in parallel to get both retroactive analytics and guides?
No. The two SDKs cannot run together, and you need to choose between the two. Guides support in the new SDK is coming soon in Fall 2019.
Do I need to do anything when I release a new app version?
You will not need to perform anything when a new app version is released. Analytics will just work. If you substantially changed your app where the UI has dramatically changed, you might need to review and fix your tagged pages. This support is coming soon in the next couple of months. Currently, you can just tag the pages which substantially changed again to continue getting analytics.
Can I merge my older app Analytics with the new one?
No. Your older analytics will still exist in Pendo, but they can’t be migrated to the new app. However, You can use Trends to view or compare them side-by-side with the new analytics.
When will the data appear?
Just like Pendo web analytics, data is updated every hour. Bulk calculations are performed at the top of each hour and it can take up to 15 minutes past the hour to finish processing depending on traffic. The exception to this rule is that for certain segment calculation for guide targeting (i.e. Show guide if used feature X), it uses a priority track which can take from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
Why can’t I upgrade my current SDK to 2.X?
The significant architecture updates to allow retroactive analytics, the new tagging experience, and tagging across your mobile app versions leaves the upgrade path to be too large to bridge and allow a seamless upgrade.
How Feature tagging is done?
Tagging relates to several factors: the location of the element on the page in terms of code hierarchy (path), the element’s text (optional), its class name and more. These might be related to the element’s location on the page but are not always equivalent to it.
- For Android: Capturing a drawer will be identified as the same screen as the screen behind the drawer. We are working on correcting this in our next minor SDK version, ETA mid-June. Pages using the same layouts might be identified as the same page. If that’s the case, please reach out to email@example.com.
- Tagging features below the fold is currently not possible. Note - Analytics will still be gathered. ETA next SDK release mid-June
Do I need to pre-define user data?
There’s no longer a need to pre-define user and account’s data. Passing the data in the app will automatically be populated in Pendo’s Data Mapping.
Can I send Custom Events?
Currently, there’s no option to send custom events at this time. Once this is available, you won’t need to pre-define them.
How do I manage a Page or Feature?
Are fragments supported?
Yes. This SDK version is already enabled to support fragments.
Is Xamarin supported?
Not yet. Please let us know if you want a Xamarin version of this SDK
Is React Native supported?
We do not yet support React Native. It is coming soon!